- Location: Nashville, Tenn. (Vanderbilt University)
- Score: No. 13 Washington U. (Mo.) 5, No. 9 MIT 4
- Records: No. 9 MIT (1-2); No. 13 Washington U. (Mo.) (4-2)
- The Lead: On Saturday at the ITA Division III National Women's Team Indoor Championship, No. 9 MIT dropped a narrow 5-4 final to No. 13 Washington U. (Mo.) in a match that was played at Vanderbilt University.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The teams split the first two doubles matches, with sophomores Marina Zhang (Garnet Valley, Pa.) and Megan Guenther (Willowbrook, Ill.) defeating Laurel Wanger and Brigitte Hodge by a convincing 8-1 final at No. 2. The Bears got on the board in the No. 3 spot with Stephanie Ren and Sanjna Tripathy defeating first-years Ashley Teng (Tustin, Calif.) and Amanda Shen (Broomfield, Colo.) by an 8-4 margin.
- At the No. 1 position, sophomore Libby Rickeman (Wayzata, Minn.) and junior captain Lara Rakocevic (Portland, Ore.) were tied at 5-5 with Ally Persky and Lisa Chionis as the teams continued to trade points and got to 6-6. The Bears eventually picked up the 8-6 victory with a break of serve in the final game to take a 2-1 overall lead after doubles.
- In singles, Rakocevic defeated Hodge from Wash U. in straight sets, 6-1, 6-3, to earn the victory at the No. 4 spot. The Engineers also picked up straight-set victories at No. 5 and No. 6 from Guenther and sophomore Vanessa Kitova (Beverly, Mass.), while the Bears captured the other three matches to earn the team win. At No. 3, Teng overcame a 6-3 loss in the first set and forced a deciding set before falling to Divya Sharma in three.
- MIT wraps up play at the ITA Division III National Women's Team Indoor Championship on Sunday, March 3rd at 9 a.m. CST vs. No. 12 Sewanee. That match will take place at the Adams Tennis Center in Murfreesboro, Tenn.