- Location: Murfreesboro, Tenn. (Adams Tennis Center)
- Score: No. 9 MIT 5, No. 12 Sewanee 4
- Records: No. 9 MIT (2-2); No. 12 Sewanee (Mo.) (3-4)
- The Lead: Junior captain Lara Rakocevic (Portland, Ore.) secured a three-set victory at No. 3 singles to lead the No. 9 MIT women's tennis team to a 5-4 win over No. 12 Sewanee on the final day of the ITA Division III Women's Indoor Team Championship. The overall match was square at 4-4 before Rakocevic took a convincing 6-2 victory in the final set.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Sewanee picked up doubles wins at No. 1 and 2 before the team of first-years Amber Shen (Broomfield, Colo.) and Ashley Teng (Tustin, Calif.) defeated Sara Thompson and Caroline Adams in an 8-4 final at No. 3. The duo finished the championship with a 2-1 mark in the No. 3 spot.
- In singles action, Sewanee earned a straight-set win at No. 2 and a three-set victory for Catherine Owen over sophomore Libby Rickeman (Wayzata, Minn.) at the No. 1 spot. Sophomores Megan Guenther (Willowbrook, Ill.) and Vanessa Kitova (Beverly, Mass.) picked up straight-set victories in the No. 5 and 6 positions, setting up the final point of the match at No. 3.
- Rakocevic took the first set in a 6-3 final over Mary Jane McCaghren, followed by a 7-6 second set in favor of Sewanee. In the final set, it was Rakocevic who improved to 4-3 in singles action for the season with the 6-2 win that gave the Engineers the 5-4 team victory.
- MIT returns to action on Saturday, March 9th as the Engineers travel to No. 19 ranked Brandeis University for a non-conference match beginning at Noon. That match will mark the team's fifth straight against a nationally-ranked opponent.