- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (J.B. Carr Tennis Bubble)
- Score: No. 17 MIT 9, Mount Holyoke 0
- Records: No. 17 MIT (4-2, 1-0 NEWMAC); Mount Holyoke (7-6, 0-1 NEWMAC)
- The Lead: On Friday afternoon in the J.B. Carr Tennis Bubble, the No. 17 ranked MIT women's tennis team opened NEWMAC play with a 9-0 shutout of Mt. Holyoke College. The Engineers are now 38-6 all-time vs. the Lyons in the series that began in 1976-77.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The No. 3 doubles tandem of junior Lara Rakocevic (Portland, Ore.) and first-year Ashley Teng (Tustin, Calif.) blanked Joy Maran and Hannah Middleton, 8-0, for MIT's first point of the match. The Engineers increased their lead after sophomore Libby Rickeman (Wayzata, Minn.) and first-year Viktoriya Tabunshchyk (Ancaster, Canada) defeated Ching-Ching Huang and Annissa Aamoum, 8-3, in the top spot. The hosts completed the doubles sweep when sophomores Marina Zhang (Garnet Valley, Pa.) and Vanessa Kitova (Beverly, Mass.) topped Catherine Peabody and Hannah Middleton, 8-2, in the No. 2 slot.
- Zhang cruised past Anya Gerasimova, 6-0, 6-0, in the No. 3 singles position as Rakocevic clinched the match by defeating Aamoum, 6-1, 6-2, at the No. 4 spot. Rickeman defeated Huang, 6-1, 6-1, at the top of the ladder while Tabunshchyk topped Peabody, 6-2, 6-2, in the next slot. Teng dropped in set in her 6-1, 6-0 victory over Maran in the No. 5 position as Kitova blanked Clara Wang, 6-0, 6-0, in the final spot.
- MIT returns to action on Sunday, March 24th as the Engineers take on Highline College in a match that will begin at 4 p.m. Eastern time. The match is scheduled to take place at the Nellie Gail Ranch Tennis Club in Laguna Hills, Calif.