- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (J.B. Carr Tennis Bubble)
- Score: No. 17 MIT 8, Wheaton College 1
- Records: No. 17 MIT (9-2, 4-0 NEWMAC); Wheaton College (4-7, 2-2 NEWMAC)
- The Lead: On Tuesday afternoon in NEWMAC action, the No. 17 ranked MIT women's tennis team defeated Wheaton College by an 8-1 final at the J.B. Carr Tennis Bubble. MIT got off to a 3-0 start after a sweep of doubles as the Engineers picked up their eighth straight victory.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- At No. 1 doubles, sophomore Libby Rickeman (Wayzata, Minn.) and first-year Viktoriya Tabunshchyk (Ancaster, Canada) defeated Ines de Bracamonte and Miriam Galindo Cerrada by a hard-fought 8-6 final.
- In singles, MIT picked up 6-0, 6-0 wins in the No. 3, 4 and 5 spots. Sophomore Marina Zhang (Garnet Valley, Pa.) defeated Isabelle Garvanne 6-2, 6-2 at No. 2, while sophomore Vanessa Kitova (Beverly, Mass.) earned the 6-0, 6-2 victory in the No. 6 position.
- de Bracamonte and Rickeman went to a super tiebreak at the No. 1 position and after the two split the first two sets, de Bracamonte defeated Rickeman 10-5 in the deciding set.
- MIT returns to over the weekend with NEWMAC matches at Smith and Wellesley. The Smith match is a Noon start on Saturday, while the Engineers take on Wellesley at 11 a.m. on Sunday morning.