- Location: Wellesley, Mass. (Dorothy Towne Fieldhouse)
- Score: No. 16 MIT 7, Wellesley College 2
- Records: No. 16 MIT (11-2, 6-0 NEWMAC); Wellesley College (10-6, 4-1 NEWMAC)
- The Lead: Rallying from a 2-1 deficit after doubles action, the No. 16 ranked MIT women's tennis team came away with a 7-2 win over Wellesley College on Sunday as the Engineers swept singles and earned their 54th straight NEWMAC regular-season victory dating back to 2011-12. The win is also the 10th straight this season as MIT and Babson remain as the lone teams unbeaten in conference play.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Blue earned doubles wins at No. 2 and 3 and seemed poised to make it a sweep until sophomore Libby Rickeman (Wayzata, Minn.) and first-year Viktoriya Tabunshchyk (Ancaster, Canada) rallied from a 7-2 deficit to win a tiebreak and earn the 8-7 victory.
- At No. 1 singles, Rickeman defeated Justin Huang in three sets at 2-6, 6-1, 6-3 to tie the match and Tabunshchyk's straight-set victory at No. 2 put the Engineers in front. Junior captain Lara Rakocevic (Portland, Ore.) downed Michelle Shen in a 6-2, 6-1 match and first-year Ashley Teng (Tustin, Calif.) closed out the Blue with a 6-3, 6-4 final at No. 5.
- MIT returns to action on Friday, April 19th as the Engineers travel to No. 6 Bowdoin College for a 3 p.m. start.