- Location: Babson Park, Mass. (Babson Tennis Courts)
- Score: No. 16 MIT 8, Babson College 1
- Records: No. 16 MIT (13-3, 8-0 NEWMAC); Babson College (12-5, 7-1 NEWMAC)
- The Lead: After rallying to take a 2-1 lead in doubles play, No. 16 MIT dominated Babson College in singles play as the Engineers pulled away for the 8-1 victory in the NEWMAC regular-season finale. The win gives MIT its seventh-straight NEWMAC regular-season championship and the top seed in next week's NEWMAC Tournament.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- In doubles play, the No. 1 team of sophomore Libby Rickeman (Wayzata, Minn.) and first-year Viktoriya Tabunshchyk (Ancaster, Canada) trailed Alexa Tutecky and Nastasia Tamarkin 4-3 before rallying for the eventual 8-4 win and the 1-0 lead.
- At No. 2 doubles, Babson's Carolina Merz and Marissa Madison came away with the narrow 8-6 win over sophomores Megan Guenther (Willowbrook, Ill.) and Marina Zhang (Garnet Valley, Pa.) to even the match at 1-1.
- At No. 3, the Beavers held a 6-5 lead before the Engineers pulled even at 7-7 on an ace down the middle by junior captain Lara Rakocevic (Portland, Ore.) that forced the tiebreaker. In the tiebreak, Rakocevic and first-year Ashley Teng (Tustin, Calif.) pulled out the 9-7 edge over Emily Roeper and Mary Kille for the 8-7 overall victory.
- In singles, the Engineers took all six matches in straight sets with no set going longer than 6-3. In the wins by Teng and Guenther at No. 5 and No. 6, the victories were by 6-0, 6-0 finals. Teng has now won a team-best 11 straight singles matches.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- MIT has now won 56 straight NEWMAC regular-season matches dating back to the 2011-12 season.
- In 21 seasons under head coach Carol Matsuzaki, the Engineers have a 141-17 all-time NEWMAC regular-season series record.
- MIT closes out the regular season on Friday, April 26th as the Engineers travel to No. 8 Tufts University for a 3 p.m. start.