- Location: Medford, Mass. (Gantcher Center)
- Score: No. 19 MIT 5, No. 9 Tufts University 4
- Records: No. 19 MIT (14-3); No. 9 Tufts University (8-8)
- The Lead: Rallying from a 4-0 deficit, the No. 19 MIT women's tennis team took the final five singles matches to defeat No. 9 Tufts University by a 5-4 margin in non-conference action on Friday after in the regular-season finale for the Engineers. The match was a rematch of the 2018 NCAA Regional Final.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- In doubles, the Jumbos took all three matches that included an 8-6 win at No. 3 for Anna Lowy and Kat Wiley over MIT junior captain Lara Rakocevic (Portland, Ore.) and first-year Ashley Teng (Tustin, Calif.).
- At No. 2 singles, Tomo Iwasaki put the Jumbos one point away from clinching as she defeated first-year Viktoriya Tabunshchyk (Ancaster, Canada) by a 6-2, 6-4 final for the 4-0 overall advantage.
- Sophomore Marina Zhang (Garnet Valley, Pa.) got MIT on the board at No. 3 singles with a 6-1, 6-4 straight-set win over Patricia Obeid. Rakocevic cruised past Caroline Garrido at No. 4 by a 6-1, 6-4 margin, followed by a 6-3, 6-3 win by Teng at No. 5 that got MIT within 4-3.
- The match was tied at 4-4 following a three-set win at No. 1 by junior Libby Rickeman (Wayzata, Minn.) as she defeated Maggie Dorr 3-6, 6-3, 7-6 (5). Battling back from a set down, Rickeman took the third-set tiebreaker by a 7-5 margin.
- The match came down to sophomore Megan Guenther (Willowbrook, Ill.) and Wiley at No. 6 as the two split the opening sets. Wiley took the first set, 6-4, before Guenther roared back for the 6-1 win in the second. She finished off the singles win and the overall victory with a 6-0 shutout in the third as the Engineers defeated the Jumbos for the second straight time.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- MIT now sets its sights on the 2019 NEWMAC Championship as the three-time defending champions enter the tournament following an 8-0 NEWMAC regular season.
- MIT will host either No. 4 Mount Holyoke or No. 5 Wheaton in the NEWMAC Semifinals on Tuesday, April 30th beginning at 3:30 p.m.