March 7, 2006
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - The MIT women's tennis team was defeated by Bates College, 5-4, in a hard-fought battle on Saturday. With the loss, the Engineers' record dropped to 8-4 on the year.
The No. 3 doubles tandem of Jusleen Karve and Jill Konowich notched the first decision of the day with an 8-3 loss. Serena Lin and Mariah Hoover fell to a very hard-hitting duo, 8-4, in the top spot. Joanna MacKay and Elaine Ni earned Tech's first point of the match with an 8-5 win. They established a 6-1 lead, and despite a small lapse, the No. 2 team put together a strong finish for the victory.
In singles, Hoover evened the contest at two by taking a 6-2, 6-3 win in the No. 3 slot. In the next position, Yi Wang fell to a formidable foe, 7-5, 6-3. At first singles, Lin could not convert on multiple set points in the first set and lost 7-6 (6), 6-1. Ni was engaged in the longest battle of the day in the No. 2 spot, but could not pull out the win as she lost 4-6, 7-6, 7-6. The Bobcats clinched the match at this point as they went up 5-2. MIT continued to attack as Konowich disposed of her No. 6 opponent, 6-3, 6-4. Emily Chen captured the final point for the Engineers by winning a very tight match, 7-5, 3-6, 11-9.
MIT vs. Bates College
Final Team Score: Bates 5, MIT 4
1. Cecilia Grissa/Laura Harris (B) def. Serena Lin/Mariah Hoover (M), 8-4
2. Joanna MacKay/Elaine Ni (M) def. Liz Currie/Caryn Bemisch (B), 8-5
3. Mallika Raghavan/Liz Fleming (B) def. Jusleen Karve/Jill Konowich (M), 8-3
4. Lisa Shank/Yi Wang (M) def. J. Brown/K. Bautista (B), 8-2
1. Cecilia Grissa (B) def. Serena Lin (M), 7-6 (6), 6-1
2. Liz Currie (B) def. Elaine Ni (M), 4-6, 7-6, 7-6 (2)
3. Mariah Hoover (M) def. Caryn Bemisch (B), 6-2, 6-3
4. Laura Harris (B) def. Yi Wang (M), 7-5, 6-3
5. Emily Chen (M) def. Mallika Raghavan (B), 7-5, 3-6, 11-9
6. Jill Konowich (M) def. K. Bautista (B), 6-3, 6-4
7. Lisa Shank (M) def. Liz Fleming (B), 6-2, 4-6, 10-6
8. J. Brown (B) def. Karina Pikhart (M), 8-4