Sept. 30, 2005
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - The Tufts University women's tennis team defeated MIT, 7-2, on Thursday. Yi Wang and Jill Konowich posted the Engineers' (3-2) only victories while Lisa Shank collected a pair of exhibition wins.
After falling, 6-0, in the first set of her No. 1 singles match, Lin came back with a 6-3 win. It was not enough as Bram pulled out a 6-1 victory in the decisive set. Ni dropped a 6-2, 6-1 decision to Miller while Hoover lost to Jessica Knez, 6-3, 6-4. Wang gave MIT its first win of the day when she defeated Megan Gentzler, 6-3, 6-2, in the No. 4 spot. Konowich followed suit with a 6-3, 6-4 win over Andrea Cenko. MacKay battled Silvia Schmid to a tough 6-3, 7-5 loss in the No. 6 position.
Shank earned her first exhibition victory when she teamed up with Wang for a 9-7 victory over Elyse Parker and Lani Ackerman. She then posted an 8-6 win against Ackerman in singles play. Karve fell to Piker, 8-6, while Mari Homma defeated Karina Pikhart, 8-1.
Tufts University vs. MIT
Final Team Score: Tufts 7, MIT 2
1. Becky Bram/Lisa Miller (T) def. Mariah Hoover/Serena Lin (M), 8-2
2. Jessica Katz/Mari Homma (T) def. Joanna MacKay/Elaine Ni (M), 8-4
3. Megan Gentzler/Andrea Cenko (T) def. Jusleen Karve/Jill Konowich (M), 8-4
4. Lisa Shank/Yi Wang (M) def. Elyse Piker/Lani Ackerman (T), 9-7
1. Becky Bram (T) def. Serena Lin (M), 6-0, 3-6, 6-1
2. Lisa Miller (T) def. Elaine Ni (M), 6-2, 6-1
3. Jessica Knez (T) def. Mariah Hoover (M), 6-3, 6-4
4. Yi Wang (M) def. Megan Gentzler (T), 6-3, 6-2
5. Jill Konowich (M) def. Andrea Cenko (T), 6-3, 6-4
6. Silvia Schmid (T) def. Joanna MacKay (M), 6-3, 7-5
7. Elyse Piker (T) def. Jusleen Karve (M), 8-6
8. Lisa Shank (M) def. Lani Ackerman (T), 8-6
9. Mari Homma (T) def. Karina Pikhart (M), 8-1