Oct. 1, 2007
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - The MIT women's tennis team posted its 10th consecutive win over NEWMAC foe Springfield College following an 8-1 decision on Saturday. The Engineers' ledger improved to 4-1 on the year and 4-0 in conference play, keeping them in a tie for the top spot in the NEWMAC.
Anisa McCree and Liz Denys kicked off the doubles sweep with an 8-0 decision in the No. 2 position. Leslie Hansen and Mariah Hoover handled their foes, 8-1, while Karina Pikhart and Melissa Diskin blanked their opponents, 8-0, in the No. 3 spot.
Hansen dropped only one game in her 6-0, 6-1 singles victory as Diskin defeated her No. 5 singles counterpart by the same margin to clinch the match for MIT. Hoover posted a 6-3, 6-2 win while McCree registered a 6-3, 6-0 victory in the No. 6 position. Denys picked up the Engineers' eighth point of the day following a 6-0, 6-3 decision before Yi Wang fell, 3-6, 6-2, 10-5.
In exhibition doubles play, Wang and Jen Rees shutout their opponents, 8-0, while Kerry Weinberg and Jenny Dohlman outlasted their foes, 9-7. Katie Smyth cruised to an 8-0 singles win as Emma Rosen posted a victory as well. Emily Onufer continued the trend with an 8-2 decision while Sheena Bhalla lost, 8-4.
MIT vs. Springfield College
Final Team Score: MIT 8, Springfield 1
1. Leslie Hansen/Mariah Hoover (M) def. Weinstein/Shaw (S), 8-1
2. Anisa McCree/Liz Denys (M) def. Desroches/Sousa (S), 8-0
3. Karina Pikhart/Melissa Diskin (M) def. Kushma/Russo (S), 8-0
4. Yi Wang/Jen Rees (M) def. Lamb/Walgren (S), 8-0
5. Kerry Weinberg/Jenny Dohlman (M) def. Slotnick/Olowookere (S), 9-7
1. Leslie Hansen (M) def. Weinstein (S), 6-0, 6-1
2. Liz Denys (M) def. Shaw (S), 6-0, 6-3
3. Mariah Hoover (M) def. Kushma (S), 6-3, 6-2
4. Sousa (S) def. Yi Wang (M), 3-6, 6-2, 10-5
5. Melissa Diskin (M) def. Desroches (S), 6-0, 6-1
6. Anisa McCree (M) def. Russo (S), 6-3, 6-0
7. Katie Smyth (M) def. Walgren (S), 8-0
8. Emma Rosen (M) def. Olowookere (S), Score not available
9. Emily Onufer (M) def. Slotnick (S), 8-2
10. Walgren (S) def. Sheena Bhalla (M), 8-4