Oct. 10, 2007
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - The MIT women's tennis team capped off its fall home slate with a 6-3 win over local foe Brandeis University on Tuesday afternoon. With the victory, the Engineers improved to 7-1 on the year while the Judges fell to 3-2.
MIT kicked off the match with its fourth consecutive doubles sweep. The Engineers finished in 1-2-3 order with the pairs of Leslie Hansen and Mariah Hoover and Anisa McCree and Liz Denys each posting an 8-2 score. Karina Pikhart and Melissa Diskin outlasted their No. 3 opponents, 9-7.
Denys quickly extended MIT's lead to 4-0 following a 6-0, 6-2 victory in the No. 2 spot. Brandeis ended the potential shutout with back-to-back wins in the No. 6 and No. 5 positions. Ana Katz defeated McCree, 6-1, 6-1, while Diskin fell to Mackenzie Gallegos, 6-1, 6-2. Hansen clinched the team victory with a 6-0, 7-5 decision in the top spot. Hoover edged out Gabrielle Helfgott, 6-3, 7-6 (5), as Wang lost to Ariana Sanai, 6-4, 7-6 (6).
The Engineers continued their doubles domination in exhibition play with an 8-3 victory by Katie Smyth and Emily Onufer. Jen Rees dropped only one game in her singles match (6-1, 6-0) while Jenny Dohlman defeated Ria Chadha (8-3). Chadha then fell to Kerry Weinberg by an 8-5 margin.
Brandeis University vs. MIT
Final Team Score: MIT 6, Brandeis 3
1. Leslie Hansen/Mariah Hoover (M) def. Colleen Donnelly/Rachel Rosman (B), 8-2
2. Anisa McCree/Liz Denys (M) def. Gabrielle Helfgott/Ana Katz (B), 8-2
3. Karina Pikhart/Melissa Diskin (M) def. Mackenzie Gallegos/Ariana Sanai (B), 9-7
4. Katie Smyth/Emily Onufer (M) def. Emily Weisberger/Ria Chadha (B), 8-3
1. Leslie Hansen (M) def. Rachel Rosman (B), 6-0, 7-5
2. Liz Denys (M) def. Colleen Donnelly (B), 6-0, 6-2
3. Mariah Hoover (M) def. Gabrielle Helfgott (B), 6-3, 7-6(5)
4. Ariana Sanai (B) def. Yi Wang (M), 6-4, 7-6(6)
5. Mackenzie Gallegos (B) def. Melissa Diskin (M), 6-1, 6-2
6. Ana Katz (B) def. Anisa McCree (M), 6-1, 6-1
7. Jen Rees (M) def. Emily Weisberger (B), 6-1, 6-0
8. Jenny Dohlman (M) def. Ria Chadha (B), 8-3
9. Kerry Weinberg (M) def. Ria Chadha (B), 8-5