- Location: Boston University Track and Tennis Center (Boston, Mass.)
- The Lead: The No. 2 ranked MIT women's track and field team had a pair of top-10 national performances and a freshman record in the 800 meters at the Boston University Last Chance Meet over the weekend.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- In the 800 meters, freshman Katie Williams (Papillion, Neb.) ran the No. 4 time in the country and set the MIT freshman record as she crossed in a time of 2:12.23 that placed her 13th overall. Sophomore Margaret Trautner (Houston, Texas) ran a PR of 2:14.86 that sits her 15th nationally, along with a season-best time of 2:14.86 from junior Bailey Tregoning (Frederick, Md.) to land at No. 23 in the country.
- Senior Nneoma Okonkwo (Lagos, Nigeria) finished sixth overall with a leap of 18 feet, 10 inches as her season-best jump lands her at No. 6 nationally. Senior Haley Strouf (Rice Lake, Wis.) was close behind in eighth place with a distance of 18 feet, 4.25 inches.
- In the pole vault, freshman Jacqueline Ahrens (Rancho Palos Verdes, Calif.) continued her tremendous rookie season with a runner-up clearance of 12 feet, 10 inches. Junior Kari Stromhaug (Vestal, N.Y.) was fourth at 12 feet, two inches and junior Makenzie Patarino (Lakewood, Colo.) finished sixth overall with a height of 11 feet, 10 inches. Overall, Ahrens and Stromhaug sit at fourth and fifth nationally entering this year's NCAA Division III Championship.
- In the weight throw, senior Ariela Slutsky (Weston, Fla.) finished fourth at 55 feet, 2.25 inches and in the triple jump, sophomore Jasmine Jin (Fanchang, China) placed 10th with a jump of 37 feet, 8.75 inches. The jump was a PR for Jin that currently has her at No. 24 in the country.
- Sophomore Michelle Menkiti (Houston, Texas) ran a PR in the 200 with a time of 25.31 to land at No. 23 in the country, while senior Hannah Chen (Los Gatos, Calif.) is 26th in the nation in the 400 in 57.39 seconds. Sophomore Katie Bacher (Macungie, Pa.) finished 11th overall in the 3,000 meters too in 9:57.69 and is No. 27 in the country.
- MIT is back in action next weekend as the Engineers travel to nearby Tufts University for a Last Chance Qualifier beginning at 9 a.m. Following that, the team will compete at the NCAA Division III Indoor National Championship, which will take place at Birmingham CrossPlex in Birmingham, Ala. on March 9-10.