- Location: Sherie and Don (1961) Morrison Track (Cambridge, Mass.)
- The Lead: On Thursday night in Cambridge, the No. 10 ranked MIT women's track and field team hosted the MIT Final Qualifier Meet as athletes from all along the East Coast looked to move up in the rankings heading into next week's NCAA Championship.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Sophomore Marissa McPhillips (Narragansett, R.I.) solidified her standing in the 1,500 meters as she is now 11th nationally following a time of 4:31.09 that placed her second. Junior Bailey Tregoning (Frederick, Md.) won the 800 meters in a time of 2:11.80 and is ranked ninth nationally from a time she ran at the New England D3 Championship. Sophomore Margaret Trautner (Houston, Texas) moved into a tie for 22nd on the national list as she was sixth in 2:12.65.
- Senior Ariela Slutsky (Weston, Fla.) moved into 14th place nationally in the discus with a winning throw of 149 feet, three inches. She also won the hammer with a toss of 170 feet, three inches. Heading into nationals, Slutsky is sixth in the hammer with a school-record distance of 182 feet, four inches that came at the Sean Collier Invitational.
- Senior Nneoma Okonkwo (Lagos, Nigeria) is currently No. 23 on the national list in the long jump as she won the event with a leap of 18 feet, eight inches. Senior Haley Strouf (Rice Lake, Wis.) was fourth as she leapt 18 feet, 1.5 inches.
- Freshman Jacqueline Ahrens (Rancho Palos Verdes, Calif.) led the Engineers in the pole vault as MIT swept the top three positions. Ahrens won with a clearance of 12 feet, two inches, followed by juniors Kari Stromhaug (Vestal, N.Y.) in second and Makenzie Patarino (Lakewood, Colo.) in third. Stromhaug cleared 11 feet, eight inches to go along with a height of 11 feet, 2.25 inches from Patarino. Ahrens is ninth nationally, while Stromhaug is No. 13 as both earned those rankings earlier in the season.
- The Engineers close out the season at the NCAA Division III Outdoor National Championship, which is being held from May 24-26 at the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse in La Crosse, Wisc. Once the final qualifier list is published, there will be a release posted on the MIT Athletics web site.