- Location: Johnson Athletic Center - (Cambridge, Mass.)
- The Lead: On Saturday in the tri-meet with Bates College and Colby College, the No. 4 MIT women's track and field team picked up the victory with a total of 155 points. Bates was second with 117 points, along with 60 points from Colby.
TOP-10 NCAA PERFORMANCES:
- The national rankings at www.tfrrs.org had not been updated as of Sunday morning. When updated, the rankings will be posted.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Engineers earned individual event wins in nine events and one relay win. MIT won the 4x800 in 9:46.31, while finishing second in the 4x400 at 4:14.67.
- In the sprints, junior Michelle Menkiti (Houston, Texas) captured the 60 meters in 8.10 seconds after running a time of 7.90 in the prelims. First-year Yilinn Yang (Ardsley, N.Y.) was third as she crossed in 8.439 seconds in a photo finish. Sophomore Sarah Ishamuddin (Grayslake, Ill.) was second in the 200 in 27.95, while first-year Claire Melvin (Ithaca, N.Y.) and senior Kristen Frombach (Lumberton, N.J.) were second and third, respectively, in the 400. Melvin finished in 1:02.87, while Frombach ran 1:03.48. In the 60-meter hurdles, sophomore Lucy Lee (Potomac, Md.) crossed in third place at 9.79 seconds in the finals.
- Senior Bailey Tregoning (Frederick, Md.) won the 600 at 1:38.83 and junior Katie Bacher (Macungie, Pa.) led a sweep of the top three in the mile with a time of 5:11.16. Junior Marissa McPhillips (Narragansett, R.I.) was second in the mile at 5:14.25, followed by junior Jenna Melanson (Woodland, Wash.) in third at 5:17.39.
- Junior Margaret Trautner (Houston, Texas) was second in the 800 at 2:23.51 as she was just .04 seconds behind Bacher. In the 1,000, first-year Kira Buttney (Herndon, Va.) was second in 2:59.12 as McPhillips placed third in 3:00.09.
- MIT won four field events, including a sweep of the pole vault that was led by a winning height of 12 feet, 1.5 inches by senior Kari Stromhaug (Oslo, Norway). Sophomore Jacqueline Ahrens (Rancho Palos Verdes, Calif.) was second at 11 feet, 7.75 and was followed in third at 10 feet, eight inches by first-year Anais Marenco (Roswell, Ga.).
- Junior Jasmine Jin (Fanchang, China) led a top-three sweep of the triple jump at 35 feet, two inches. Sophomore Elizabeth Weeks (Ladera Ranch, Calif.) was second at 34 feet, 11.75 inches, while Lee was third with a jump of 34 feet, 9.75 inches.
- Sophomore Margaret Redfield (Los Altos, Calif.) won the high jump at five feet, 0.25 inches, along with a win in the long jump by Ishamuddin at 16 feet, 7.75 inches. Ahrens was third in the long jump, posting a leap of 16 feet, 1.75 inches.
- Junior Folusho Jebutu (Richmond, Texas) was second in the weight throw at 46 feet, 10.25 inches. First-year Lillian Papalia (Louisville, Ky.) finished second in the shot put, posting a throw of 34 feet, five inches.
- MIT is back in action on Saturday, January 19th as the Engineers return to Maine for the Bowdoin Invitational in Brunswick, Maine. That meet is scheduled to begin at 12:30 p.m.