- Location: Springfield College Fieldhouse (Springfield, Mass.)
- The Lead: Led by four event wins on Saturday, the No. 5 ranked MIT women's indoor track and field team competed at the Triangle Classic at Springfield College, in preparation for next week's New England Division III Championship. There were no team scores kept for Saturday's meet.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- In the 600 meters, senior Bailey Tregoning (Frederick, Md.) won the event in 1:38.51 as three Engineers were in the top five. Junior Margaret Trautner (Houston, Texas) was just .10 seconds back of Tregoning for second, while sophomore Katie Williams (Papillion, Neb.) placed fourth in 1:42.84.
- Junior Skylar Brooks (Morgantown, W.Va.) took the 800 meters in a time of 2:23.42, while junior Tessa Weiss (Scottsdale, Ariz.) won the 1,000 meters in 3:04.99. In the mile, first-year Kira Buttrey (Herndon, Va.) crossed in third at 5:18.35 and sophomore Gabrielle Enns (Chandler, Ariz.) was fifth at 5:25.03.
- In the triple jump, sophomore Elizabeth Weeks (Ladera Ranch, Calif.) won the event with a leap of 36 feet, 5.5 inches as four Engineers were in the top 10. First-year Yilinn Yang (Ardsley, N.Y.) was third at 35 feet, 6.75 inches, followed by first-year Elena Andree (San Diego, Calif.) in fourth (35 feet, four inches) and junior Jasmine Jin (Fanchang, China) in seventh (33 feet, eight inches).
- In the pole vault, MIT had five finishers in the top 10 with senior All-American Kari Stromhaug (Oslo, Norway) leading the way in third at 12 feet, 2.25 inches. First-year Anais Marenco (Roswell, Ga.) and sophomore Jacqueline Ahrens (Rancho Palos Verdes, Calif.) each cleared 11 feet, 10.5 inches to finish fourth and fifth, respectively. Sophomore Lila Wine (Oak Park, Ill.) and first-year Emily Caragay (Plymouth, Mich.) both posted a height of 10 feet, six inches and were eighth and ninth overall.
- Andree led four Engineers in the top 10 of the long jump as she was second with a distance of 17 feet, 2.75 inches. Yang was third at 17 feet, two inches, while sophomore Tema Nwana (Fairfax, Va.) placed fourth with a jump of 17 feet, 0.50 inches. First-year Megan Su (Jericho, N.Y.) posted an eighth-place showing at 16 feet, 5.75 inches. In the high jump, sophomore Margaret Redfield (Los Altos, Calif.) was second at five feet, three inches, followed by sophomore Liana Reilly (Newton, Mass.) in fourth and first-year Ashley Holton (Woodbury, Minn.) in 10th with heights of five feet, one inch and four feet, seven inches, respectively.
- Junior Folusho Jebutu (Richmond, Texas) placed third in the weight throw at 46 feet, 11.5 inches and was also eighth in the shot put at 34 feet, 9.5 inches. First-year Lillian Papalia (Louisville, Ky.) was ninth in shot put at 34 feet, 6.75, while Nwana finished ninth in the weight throw with a toss of 40 feet, 11 inches.
- In the 4x400 relay, the team of sophomore Sarah Ishamuddin (Grayslake, Ill.), Trautner, senior Kristen Frombach (Lumberton, N.J.) and Tregoning placed third in a time of 4:05.60. Junior Michelle Menkiti (Houston, Texas) placed third in the 200 at 26.52 seconds, while Su was 10th in the 60 at 8.34 seconds. First-year Claire Melvin (Ithaca, N.Y.) and Frombach placed sixth and seventh in the 400 meters, running times of 1:02.95 and 1:03, respectively.
TOP-20 NCAA RANKINGS:
- Below are the current top-20 rankings for the Engineers, from meets up to this point in the season as listed at www.tfrrs.org.
Distance Medley Relay
1. Trautner, Ishamuddin, Tregoning, McPhillips - 11:41.25
6. Marissa McPhillips - 4:55.05
9. Jenna Melanson - 9:54.10
- MIT returns to action next weekend as the Engineers travel to the New England Division III Indoor Championship, which is scheduled to take place February 22-23 at Bowdoin College in Brunswick, Maine.