- Location: Triton Track and Field Stadium (La Jolla, Calif.)
- The Lead: At the season-opening outdoor meet, the No. 11 ranked MIT women's track and field team finished eighth out of 13 teams at the California Collegiate Open with a total of 36 points.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Senior Kari Stromhaug (Oslo, Norway) finished second in the pole vault with a height of 12 feet, 1.5 inches and is ranked seventh nationally. First-year Anais Marenco (Roswell, Ga.) also scored in seventh place, clearing 11 feet, 1.75 inches.
- In the triple jump, first-year Yilinn Yang (Ardsley, N.Y.) finished fourth and is ninth nationally with a distance of 37 feet, five inches. Sophomore Lucy Lee (Potomac, Md.) placed sixth with a leap of 37 feet, 0.25 inches and is ranked 12th in the country, while first-year Elena Andree (San Diego, Calif.) scored in seventh place at 36 feet, 8.25 inches.
- Junior Folusho Jebutu (Richmond, Texas) finished sixth in both the hammer throw and the discus, posting marks of 151 feet, nine inches and 122 feet, seven inches. Sophomore Margaret Redfield (Los Altos, Calif.) placed seventh in the high jump, clearing five feet, 2.25 inches.
- In the 4x100 relay, Andree, Yang, sophomore Sarah Ishamuddin (Grayslake, Ill.) and junior Michelle Menkiti (Houston, Texas) finished in fourth with a time of 49.29 seconds. Menkiti finished seventh in the 200 at 25.87 seconds, while first-year Claire Melvin (Ithaca, N.Y.) placed eighth in the 400-meter hurdles in a time of 1:06.04. First-year Lillian Papalia (Louisville, Ky.) scored in the shot put, finishing in eighth place with a throw of 34 feet, 7.5 inches.
TOP-20 NCAA RANKINGS:
- Below are the current top-20 rankings for the Engineers, from meets up to this point in the season as listed at www.tfrrs.org.
7. Kari Stromhaug - 12' 1.5"
- MIT opens its home schedule on Saturday, April 6th as the Engineers host Bates, RPI and Tufts.