- Location: Blake Track (Springfield, Mass.)
- The Lead: The No. 19 MIT women's track and field team captured the program's 11th straight NEWMAC Championship with a total of 182.50 points on Saturday afternoon in Springfield. The Springfield College Pride were second at 152.16 points as MIT picked up seven overall event wins (six individuals and one relay) and four runners-up for 14 All-Conference honorees in total.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Engineers had four top-five performers in the pole vault with NEWMAC champion Kari Stromhaug (Oslo, Norway) winning the event at 12 feet, 1.5 inches. First-year Anais Marenco (Roswell, Ga.) was third at 11 feet, 1.75 inches with first-year Emily Caragay (Plymouth, Mich.) fourth at an identical height. Sophomore Jacqueline Ahrens (Rancho Palos Verdes, Calif.) placed fifth as she cleared 10 feet, eight inches.
- MIT was also strong in the triple jump with first-year Elena Andree (San Diego, Calif.) winning the event with a leap of 38 feet, 2.25 inches. Sophomore Lucy Lee (Potomac, Md.) was second at 37 feet, five inches and sophomore Elizabeth Weeks (Ladera Ranch, Calif.) placed third with a jump of 36 feet, 9.5 inches.
- Junior Jenna Melanson (Woodland, Wash.) captured the NEWMAC title in the 3,000-meter steeplechase as she ran a season-best time of 10:49.08. Junior Margaret Trautner (Houston, Texas) earned the 1,500-meter title at 4:43.47 as she was also second in the 800 meters with a time of 2:19.02. In the 800, senior Bailey Tregoning (Frederick, Md.) was the champion as she crossed in 2:16.03.
- First-year Claire Melvin (Ithaca, N.Y.) won the 400-meter hurdles in her first NEWMAC meet, crossing in 1:07.39 for First Team All-Conference honors. The MIT 4x400 relay was also victorious in 4:01.73 to go along with a fourth-place showing in the 4x100 at 49.92 seconds.
- Sophomore Katie Collins (Newton, Mass.) finished second in the 5,000 in 18:04.75, while senior Darby LaPlant (Santa Clarita, Calif.) was fourth in the 10K with a time of 40:08.41. Junior Michelle Menkiti (Houston, Texas) finished second and third, respectively, in the 100 and 200-meter races as she crossed in 12.58 and 26.41 seconds.
- Junior Folusho Jebutu (Richmond, Texas) earned a runner-up finish in the hammer with a throw of 145 feet, 10 inches and was also fourth in the discus at 117 feet, eight inches. Junior Elise McCormack (Wells, Maine) was fourth in the hammer, posting a toss of 143 feet, 10 inches.
- Sophomore Liana Reilly (Newton, Mass.) was fifth in the high jump as she cleared five feet, one inch and in the long jump, first-year Yilinn Yang (Ardsley, N.Y.) was fourth with a jump of 17 feet, 3.5 inches.
TOP-20 NCAA RANKINGS:
- Below are the current top-20 rankings for the Engineers, from meets up to this point in the season as listed at www.tfrrs.org.
4. Jenna Melanson - 10:47.87
12. Kari Stromhaug - 12' 3.5"
17. Elena Andree - 38' 2.25"
- MIT returns to action on May 2-4 as the Engineers travel to the New England Division III Outdoor Championship at Williams College.