- Score: No. 15 MIT 3, SUNY Oneonta 0 (25-11, 25-15, 25-17)
- Records: No. 15 MIT (21-1); Oneonta (9-15)
- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (Rockwell Cage)
- The Lead: In a Saturday morning non-conference women's volleyball match, nationally-ranked No. 15 MIT defeated SUNY Oneonta, 25-11, 25-15, 25-17. Junior Abby Bertics (La Jolla, Calif.) powered the Engineers with a match-high 18 kills and a .567 hitting percentage.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- After a back-and-forth start to the match that saw Oneonta take a 6-5 edge on an MIT hitting error, a kill by senior Alli Davanzo (Saint Johns, Fla.) ignited a 12-2 set-changing run. A serving error and then an ace by Linda Doherty trimmed the deficit to 17-10 but the Engineers captured eight of the final nine points to win the set.
- MIT jumped out to a 10-3 lead in the second stanza and maintained a comfortable cushion as a serving error gave the hosts set point at 24-14. A Meghan Keyes kill kept the Red Dragons alive but sophomore Shea Landeene (Phoenix, Ariz.) replied with one of her own to end the set.
- Oneonta gradually established a 9-5 lead in the third set courtesy of a block by Melissa Voyer. The Engineers responded with a Bertics kill, which sparked a 9-2 run. A serving error narrowed the Red Dragons' gap to 14-12, however, back-to-back kills by freshman Katie Downey (Silverdale, Wash.) along with a Landeene strike gave MIT some breathing room. Following a brief exchange of points, Oneonta capitalized on Clara Culeton's kill and a setting error to come within 18-15. This was as close as it would get as the Cardinal and Gray finished off the match with a 7-2 spurt.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Landeene totaled eight kills while hitting .533 percent as junior Carly Silvernale (Bellevue, Wash.) collected a match-high 10 digs. Junior Carly Staub (Palos Verdes Estates, Calif.) produced four blocks while sophomore Madison Lee (Hillsborough, Calif.) generated six digs. Freshman Andie Maloney (Manhattan Beach, Calif.) tallied 18 assists, seven digs, and two aces in two sets as junior Christina Liao (Warren, N.J.) posted 13 assists and five digs in the final frame. Senior Lisette Tellez (Miami, Fla.) and sophomore Alexis Groark (Huntington, N.Y.) rounded out the squad with two aces apiece.
- Keyes powered Oneonta with seven kills and seven digs while Sara Feldman recorded six kills and five digs. Voyer and Culeton notched three and two blocks, respectively, as Doherty bolstered the back row with five digs. Jessica Fowler ended the day with 19 assists and seven digs.
- Both squads resume conference play in their next outings. MIT will travel to NEWMAC rival Wellesley College on Tuesday, Oct. 17 while Oneonta will host SUNYAC foes New Paltz, Geneseo, and Plattsburgh in pool play on October 20-21.