- Score: No. 17 MIT 3, Roger Williams University 0 (25-15, 25-19, 25-16)
- Records: MIT (6-0); Roger Williams (4-2)
- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (Rockwell Cage)
- The Lead: The nationally-ranked No. 17 MIT women's volleyball team opened the first day of the MIT Invitational by sweeping Roger Williams University, 25-15, 25-19, 25-16, on Friday. In his 23rd season at the helm, head coach Paul Dill picked up his 600th win with the Engineers. In addition, senior Abby Bertics (La Jolla, Calif.) became the 12th player in program history to reach the 1,000-kill mark.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Set 1: A pair of aces by freshman Margaret Wang (Rockville, Md.) opened the match and fueled a 7-0 start for MIT. Roger Williams trimmed its deficit to 10-4 courtesy of Katherine Pickard's ace. The Engineers rattled off five straight points, including two aces by Bertics, before capturing a 25-15 win.
- Set 2: The Hawks inched out to a 7-4 lead by capitalizing on an ace from Lara LoIacono and several MIT hitting errors. The Engineers battled back, tying the score at 13 on a block by freshman Hannah Grupe (Oakwood, Ohio). However, Molly Quilty's kill kept Roger Williams in front. MIT replied with a three-point spurt as a ball-handling error gave it a 16-14 edge. The Hawks stayed within striking distance, using a LoIacono kill to come within 19-18. A strike by Bertics sparked a 6-1 set-ending run for the hosts.
- Set 3: Back-to-back LoIacono kills opened the set but MIT put together a 10-2 run to go ahead for good. The Engineers maintained their comfortable cushion en route to a 25-16 win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- In addition to his 600 victories with the women's team, Dill has 15 seasons of coaching Division III men's volleyball under his belt. Before tallying 328 victories during his 14 seasons as the head coach MIT's men's program, he notched 12 wins during one season as the head coach of the Emmanuel College men's team.
- Bertics totaled a match-high 15 kills, a .355 hitting percentage, seven digs, and three aces.
- Senior Christina Liao (Warren, N.J.) tallied 30 assists and eight digs.
- Senior Carly Silvernale (Bellevue, Wash.) produced eight digs and four aces.
- Wang registered seven digs to go along with two aces.
- Junior Shea Landeene (Phoenix, Ariz.) bolstered the defense with three blocks.
- LoIacono paced Roger Williams with nine kills to go along with four digs and two blocks.
- Quilty finished with five kills as Pickard had a team-high seven digs.
- Julia Fields dished out 19 assists while Kate Grabowski collected six digs.
- MIT and Roger Williams return to action on Saturday, Sept. 8 with two more matches to close out the MIT Invitational. The Engineers will face Lasell College at 12:00 p.m. followed by Endicott College at 4:00 p.m. The Hawks, meanwhile, will take on Babson College at 10:00 a.m. and Wellesley College at 2:00 p.m.