- Score: No. 22 MIT 3, Mount Holyoke College 0 (25-10, 25-13, 25-11)
- Records: No. 22 MIT (14-2, 4-1 NEWMAC); Mount Holyoke (6-7, 0-6 NEWMAC)
- Location: South Hadley, Mass. (Howard Gymnasium)
- The Lead: The nationally-ranked No. 22 MIT women's volleyball team picked up its fourth win in a row following a 25-10, 25-13, 25-11 decision at NEWMAC rival Mount Holyoke College on Friday night. Freshman Hannah Grupe (Oakwood, Ohio) led the Engineers' balanced attack with eight kills while hitting .538 and recording two blocks.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Set 1: Holding a 6-5 lead, a pair of errors along with an ace by junior Shea Landeene (Phoenix, Ariz.) kicked off a 19-5 run that closed the set.
- Set 2: Mount Holyoke stayed close early in the set as it trailed 9-6. Kills by junior Alexis Groark (Elwood, N.Y.) and Grupe along with an ace from senior Christina Liao (Warren, N.J.) helped MIT create some breathing room before mounting a 9-3 set-ending run.
- Set 3: After a back-and-forth start that saw the Lyons take a 7-6 edge, kills by freshman Nikasha Patel (Paradise Valley, Ariz.) and senior Carly Staub (Palos Verdes Estates, Calif.) put the Engineers in front and sparked a 10-1 run. MIT maintained the comfortable cushion down the stretch and then recorded the final six points of the match.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Staub registered seven kills on nine errorless hitting attempts and notched two blocks while Patel also finished with seven kills.
- Liao dished out 31 assists as Landeene and senior Abby Bertics (La Jolla, Calif.) both earned two aces.
- MIT continues conference play on Tuesday, Oct. 2 when it hosts Babson College at 6:00 p.m.