- Score: No. 22 MIT 3, Emmanuel College 0 (25-13, 25-20, 25-11)
- Records: No. 22 MIT (16-2); Emmanuel (7-7)
- Location: Boston, Mass. (Andy Yosinoff Court)
- The Lead: In non-conference women's volleyball action, nationally-ranked No. 22 MIT defeated Emmanuel College, 25-13, 25-20, 25-11, on Thursday night. Freshman Nikasha Patel (Paradise Valley, Ariz.) led all players with 16 kills while hitting .323 for the Engineers.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Set 1: Trailing 4-3, a trio of kills by junior Alexis Groark (Elwood, N.Y.) put MIT in front. The Engineers gradually built a 19-10 advantage before going on to win the set, 25-13.
- Set 2: The closely played second set had one lead change but 11 ties. Emmanuel capitalized on MIT miscues, turning a 17-13 deficit into a 17-17 deadlock. Following an exchange of points that moved the score to 20-20, the Engineers recorded the final five points to secure the win.
- Set 3: A hitting error by the Saints sparked an 8-0 run that gave MIT a lead it would not relinquish. Emmanuel narrowed the gap to 14-8, but this was as close as it would get as the Engineers rattled off seven straight points which fueled an 11-3 match-ending run.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Senior Carly Silvernale (Bellevue, Wash.) collected a match-high 16 digs, followed by 10 from junior Madison Lee (Hillsborough, Calif.), and six from freshman Julia Caravias (Bloomfield Hills, Mich.).
- MIT returns to NEWMAC play on Tuesday, Oct. 9 when it hosts Clark University at 6:00 p.m.