- Score: No. 2 MIT 3, No. 7 Wheaton College 0 (25-11, 28-26, 25-13)
- Records: MIT (25-4); Wheaton (22-10)
- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (Rockwell Cage)
- The Lead: No. 2 seeded MIT defeated No. 7 Wheaton College, 25-11, 28-26, 25-13, in the quarterfinals of the NEWMAC Women's Volleyball Championship Tournament on Tuesday night. With the win, the Engineers secured a spot in the conference tournament semifinals for the 30th consecutive season.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Set 1: MIT jumped out to a 10-2 lead and maintained a comfortable cushion en route to a 25-11 win.
- Set 2: The tightly played second set featured nine ties and seven lead changes. A kill by Casey Dinga gave Wheaton set point at 24-22. A kill from senior Abby Bertics (La Jolla, Calif.) in addition to a hitting error evened the score and prompted a timeout by the Lyons. Once action resumed, a serving error put Wheaton back in front, but a pair of hitting errors gave the Engineers a 26-25 edge. The Lyons knotted the frame courtesy of Claire Cansler's block, however, a kill by junior Alexis Groark (Elwood, N.Y.) and an ace from classmate Shea Landeene (Phoenix, Ariz.) clinched the come-from-behind win.
- Set 3: A kill by Cansler brought Wheaton within one (11-10), but this was as close as it would get as MIT mounted a 14-3 run to end the match.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Bertics finished with a match-high 19 kills while hitting .357 and collecting eight digs.
- Landeene posted seven kills, a .400 hitting performance, and three blocks as freshman Hannah Grupe (Oakwood, Ohio) bolstered the defense with three blocks.
- Haley McCreight paced Wheaton with eight kills and two blocks as Cansler chipped in six kills.
- Becca Houghton dished out 20 assists while Maggie Shafer and Cat MacGregor notched 15 and 10 digs, respectively.
- MIT will continue the NEWMAC Tournament on Thursday, Nov. 1 when it hosts No. 3 seed Babson College in semifinal action starting at 7:00 p.m.