- Score: No. 23 Babson College 3, MIT 1 (23-25, 25-13, 25-21, 25-20)
- Records: MIT (16-4, 4-1 NEWMAC), No. 23 Babson (17-1, 5-1 NEWMAC)
- Location: Babson Park, Mass. (Staake Gymnasium)
- The Lead: MIT won the opening set, but nationally-ranked No. 23 Babson College came back to win the next three, recording a 23-25, 25-13, 25-21, 25-20 NEWMAC women's volleyball victory on Tuesday night.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Set 1: MIT won four of the first five points and maintained a small cushion until Babson tied the score at 13. Following nine ties and two lead changes, kills by seniors Alexis Groark (Elwood, N.Y.) and Shea Landeene (Phoenix, Ariz.) gave the Engineers a 25-23 win.
- Set 2: The Beavers jumped out to an 8-2 advantage. A serving error kicked off an exchange of points, which moved the score to 12-7. Babson would go on to outscore MIT, 13-6, to capture the set.
- Set 3: The Engineers gradually built a 12-7 lead; however, the Beavers won the next five points to even the score. After trading kills, Babson mounted an 8-2 run which resulted in a 23-17 advantage. A hitting error along with kills from Groark and Landeene cut MIT's deficit in half, but a serving error gave the Beavers set point. A kill by Landeene kept the Engineers alive, however, Babson responded with a kill of its own.
- Set 4: The back-and-forth set featured 11 ties and four lead changes. Knotted at 18, the Beavers rattled of three straight kills to create some breathing room. A setting error narrowed the gap to 21-19, but Babson scored four out of the final five points to secure the win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Groark paced MIT with 12 kills, followed by nine from sophomore Hannah Collins (Sunnyvale, Calif.) and seven from Landeene.
- MIT hosts Emmanuel College on Thursday, Oct. 10 at 6:00 p.m.