- Location: Williamstown, Mass.
- The Lead: For the second straight season, the No. 4 ranked MIT women's cross country team captured the Purple Valley Classic, which was hosted by Williams College. The Engineers finished with 67 points to win by a 14-point margin over No. 8 Williams.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Senior All-American Leandra Zimmermann (Augsburg, Germany) led the Engineers with a third-place finish in a time of 22:38.7. Freshman Izzi Gengaro (Boonton Township, N.J.) was outstanding in her first collegiate race in fourth place, crossing in 22:40.5.
- Freshman Einat Gavish (Newton, Mass.) placed 17th in 23:31.7, followed by sophomore Katie Collins (Newton, Mass.) just two spots back in 23:34.3. While both runners are from Newton, Mass., Gavish attended Newton North High School and Collins is a graduate of Newton South.
- Sophomore Emily Niu (Painted Post, N.Y.) was the final scoring runner for MIT in 24th place as she finished in a time of 23:41.4.
- Junior Marissa McPhillips (Narragansett, R.I.) crossed in 35th at 24:01, followed by freshman Abby Mauerman (Brookfield, Wisc.) in 45th place in a time of 24:23.7.
- Overall, MIT had three freshmen and two sophomores among its top seven scoring runners.
- With the victory, MIT defeated five nationally-ranked teams with Williams (No. 8), Tufts (No. 14), Middlebury (No. 6), RPI (No. 12) and Hamilton (No. 28).
- MIT returns to action on Saturday, October 6th as the Engineers compete at the NEICAAA Championship at Franklin Park in Boston, Mass.