- Location: Franklin Park (Boston, Mass.)
- The Lead: Led by a sixth-place finish from freshman Izzi Gengaro (Boonton Township, N.J.) and four runners inside the top 20, the No. 4 ranked MIT women's cross country team finished second overall and first among Division III programs at the 2018 NEICAAA Cross Country Championship on Saturday. The Engineers finished with 78 points, placing second behind only Division I Boston College.
A LOOK AT THE VARSITY RESULTS:
- Gengaro, who was the second Division III finisher and second freshman overall, crossed in a time of 18:07.25. Senior Leandra Zimmermann (Augsburg, Germany) was the second Engineer in 14th place at 18:24.88, followed by junior Jenna Melanson (La Center, Wash.) in 15th in a time of 18:26.28. Sophomore Katie Collins (Newton, Mass.) was the final Engineer in the top 20 at 17th place, crossing in 18:35.48.
- The final scoring runner was freshman Einat Gavish (Newton, Mass.) in 26th at 18:54.66, followed by sophomore Emily Niu (Painted Post, N.Y.) and freshman Abby Mauermann (Brookfield, Wis.). Niu finished in 66th place with a time of 19:27.23, along with Mauermann in 117th place at 20:03.06.
- The MIT top seven was separated by a 47-second margin, including just 28 seconds among the top four.
A LOOK AT THE SUB-VARSITY RESULTS:
- The MIT women's sub-varsity placed seventh out of 12 teams with a total of 193 points.
- Sophomore Lindsay McAllister (Los Angeles, Calif.) paced the sub-varsity in 22nd place as she ran 19:30.52. Sophomore Gabrielle Enns (Chandler, Ariz.) finished 32nd and junior Tessa Weiss (Scottsdale, Ariz.) was 45th, running times of 19:39.80 and 19:56.45, respectively.
- Sophomore Dhamanpreet Kaur (Renton, Wash.) crossed in 67th at 20:22.86, along with junior Megan McCandless (Livermore, Calif.) in 74th in 20:32.33. The seventh Engineer was senior Darby LaPlant (Saugus, Calif.) as she placed 89th and ran a time of 20:59.20.
- MIT is back in action on Saturday, October 13th as the Engineers travel to Winneconne, Wisconsin for the UW-Oshkosh Kollege Town Sports Invitational. The meet is the preview meet for the 2018 NCAA Division III National Championship, which will be held on Saturday, November 17th at the Lake Breeze Golf Course.